Re: [Fsfe-uk] List Descriptions..

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] List Descriptions..
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 23:38:28 +0100

Alex Hudson <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hmm. We did originally start the AFFS-Project mailing list, because some
> people didn't want to see AFFS business discussed on FSFE-UK :) [...]

The proposal by Andrew Savory was
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/fsfe-uk/2003-10/msg00116.html
and a thread followed from it. I asked for some clarifications
and was mostly happy with Andrew's proposal and Ramanan's
extensions. Unfortunately, the "unprofessional" crowd made some
FUD and the one person with root on the server was against having
"too many" open lists, so most of Andrew's idea got lost.

Andrew Savory now lectures on how and why the Apache community
works and education-commercial collaboration. Why aren't we
following his advice on this yet?

(Committee being slow/unwilling to make structure decisions
was mentioned as a problem even then...)

>       * FSFE-UK. Not the right place, because it would be using a
>         general FS mailing list for AFFS-specific work [...]

That reasoning has even less support now than it was in 2003.
For a while, this list's charter has called that on-topic:

| About Fsfe-uk
|
| The general discussion list for UK people interested in Free
| Software, the Association For Free Software (AFFS), the FSF
| Europe and related UK activities.  It is a companion to the
| general address@hidden list.
|
| Please feel free to use this list for announcements, questions
| and discussion topics, but please try to keep it positive
| and polite.

Please create affs-announce and affs-members like we should
have done two years ago.

Thanks,
--
MJ Ray (slef), K. Lynn, England, email see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/