Re: [Fsfe-uk] Yesterdays Defective by Design event in London

From: rob
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Yesterdays Defective by Design event in London
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 11:22:59 +0100

Quoting MJ Ray <address@hidden>:

I'm a little unhappy so many pictures of the event are on flickr -
slightly because the images there seem to be All Rights Reserved,

What is your suggested licencing strategy? flickr does not allow images to be
licenced under the GNU FDL IIRC but the Creative Commons BY/SA/NC/ND licences
are available. BY-NC-ND would allow free circulation of the images, or BY-SA
would approximate the Four Freedoms.

but
mostly because every page tells me I should install the latest version
of the Macromedia Flash Player, which is now produced by the DMCA-happy
[www.freesklyarov.org] Adobe corporation.  It seems rather stupid to let
Defective by Design be used to promote a DRM controller.  Is the
campaign at least making some money from those adverts?

Does Flash include DRM? I know that PDF and Shockwave do, but I was not aware of
any DRM in Flash itself.

Can you suggest how the site can be made to work with a Free implementation of
Flash? Failing that can you provide or suggest an alternative image host that
does not use Flash and that understands non-ARR licencing?

- Rob.