Re: [Fsfe-uk] Yesterdays Defective by Design event in London

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Yesterdays Defective by Design event in London
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 15:50:20 +0100

address@hidden asked:
> What is your suggested licencing strategy? flickr does not allow images to be
> licenced under the GNU FDL IIRC but the Creative Commons BY/SA/NC/ND licences
> are available. BY-NC-ND would allow free circulation of the images, or BY-SA
> would approximate the Four Freedoms.

I suggest a MIT/Expat-style licence, or allowing any use normally
restricted by copyright (aka PD-style).  CC-BY may be good after v3,
but v2 has problems.

[...]
> > [www.freesklyarov.org] Adobe corporation.  It seems rather stupid to let
> > Defective by Design be used to promote a DRM controller.  Is the
> > campaign at least making some money from those adverts?
>
> Does Flash include DRM? I know that PDF and Shockwave do, but I was not
> aware of any DRM in Flash itself.

I do not know whether Flash includes DRM, but it is produced by DRM
controller Adobe.

> Can you suggest how the site can be made to work with a Free implementation of
> Flash?

Others know Free Flash better than I do.  Last I saw was
http://web.archive.org/web/20050205034327/http://www.affs.org.uk/~alex/HowDoWeReplaceFlash
which seems to have been removed from www.affs.org.uk since.
Anyone know where that info lives now?

> Failing that can you provide or suggest an alternative image host that
> does not use Flash and that understands non-ARR licencing?

There used to be something in free.fr but I can't find it any more.
Some Indymedia sites allow free software licensing of material (Bristol
lets you specify it, but requires at least free for non-commercial).
Self-hosting is also fairly simple using things like spgm.

Hope that helps,
Somerset, England. Work/Laborejo: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
IRC/Jabber/SIP: on request/peteble