Re: [Fsfe-uk] Grants programme

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Grants programme
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 20:20:24 +0000

On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 19:47 +0000, Stuart Yeates wrote:
> Alex Hudson wrote:
> > I wonder whether employment is the right route though: once you get into
> > that, you get into a contractual relationship which is a lot more
> > serious, and you lose efficiency from a tax/NI point of view (that is,
> > the student would end up with less).
>
> Could we structure it as a scholarship? Most universities / large
> colleges should already have facilities for handling scholarships.

That's not a bad shout at all.

I guess we should find out - my worry about scholarship :) would be that
you're not allowed to expect the scholar to do anything other than their
study, otherwise it's more or less another form of employment, but I
have _no_ idea.

I would always be wary of schemes which could be construed as attempting
to get around employment rights / taxes, but there must be some way we
can do this.