Re: [Fsfe-uk] Grants programme

From: Sam Liddicott
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Grants programme
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 21:01:39 +0000

Alex Hudson wrote:

I guess we should find out - my worry about scholarship :) would be that
you're not allowed to expect the scholar to do anything other than their
study, otherwise it's more or less another form of employment, but I
have _no_ idea.

I would always be wary of schemes which could be construed as attempting
to get around employment rights / taxes, but there must be some way we
can do this.
Good point, I think the difficulty is that the money is paid in advance of work with the expectation of work. Most bursaries/awards/scholarships/prizes work the other way around.

As the tax office will be a major adjudicator, I guess they are the ones to consult.

I can see the leading question:
"Hi, we want to er.. pay someone to do some work .. err.. without them having to pay tax."
"No it's not me thats being paid, it's..."
"Honest, it's a sort of scholarship scheme"
"No, I'm not paying my wife"
"Why do you want to know my NI number all of a sudden?"

hmmm

Sam