Re: [Fsfe-uk] Grants programme

From: Dinis Cruz
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Grants programme
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 16:50:07 +0000

Hello, I organized something similar for OWASP (Owasp Web Application Security Project) which had very good responses and is working very well

We called it the OWASP Autumn of Code and you can read more details about it here:

Best regards

Dinis Cruz
OWASP Autumn of Code 2006, http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OAC
OWASP .Net Project, http://www.owasp.org/index.php/.Net

On 11/21/06, Sam Liddicott <address@hidden> wrote:
* Jason Clifford wrote, On 21/11/06 16:10:
> I've been giving some more thought to this today and had an idea I'd like
> some feedback on.
>
> Firstly it now seems to me that the idea of a grants programme in the
> format currently envision just isn't working for whatever reason. Maybe
> it's because, as others have suggested, there just isn't enough money to
> interest people.
>
> Looking around at the more prominent people in the UK Free Software
> communities (well the Linux communities anyway) it seems that almost all
> became involved while at school/college/uni. Many if not all were writing
> code for or otherwise contributing to Free Software projects.
>
> How about the idea of part time employment for college/uni students to do
> just that - write code or otherwise contribute to FS projects?
>
> If I budget to pay each of them £4,500 during the year UKFSN could do this
> for 2 students in 2007 rising to 3 or 4 in 2008 and about 10 in 2009.

It sounds a good deal.
It diverts the cash to people who:
a) need it the money
b) have the time to do the development
c) are most likely to be influenced positively from the development they do

Sam