Re: [Fsfe-uk] Grants programme

From: Ian Lynch
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Grants programme
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 21:20:04 +0000

On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 20:20 +0000, Alex Hudson wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 19:47 +0000, Stuart Yeates wrote:
> > Alex Hudson wrote:
> > > I wonder whether employment is the right route though: once you get into
> > > that, you get into a contractual relationship which is a lot more
> > > serious, and you lose efficiency from a tax/NI point of view (that is,
> > > the student would end up with less).
> >
> > Could we structure it as a scholarship? Most universities / large
> > colleges should already have facilities for handling scholarships.
>
> That's not a bad shout at all.
>
> I guess we should find out - my worry about scholarship :) would be that
> you're not allowed to expect the scholar to do anything other than their
> study, otherwise it's more or less another form of employment, but I
> have _no_ idea.
>
> I would always be wary of schemes which could be construed as attempting
> to get around employment rights / taxes, but there must be some way we
> can do this.

Easy, insist that part of their learning is to produce some useful
digital resources. The Gold INGOT is built on this premise so it would
be pretty straightforward for a university to say that a student
computer science project needed to result in something useful. Such a
student has his fees paid by the grant.

Ian
--
www.theINGOTS.org