Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only

From: Noah Slater
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 15:16:33 +0000

----- Forwarded message from Noah Slater <address@hidden> -----

Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 14:44:51 +0000
From: Noah Slater <address@hidden>
To: Dave Page <address@hidden>

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 02:36:47PM +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> > Flash is the defacto multimedia format on the WWW at the moment
> > and that isn't going to change any time soon.
>
> Not if the foremost organisation supporting open standards and free
> software is supporting the reverse-engineering of a complicated moving
> target, no.

Things are more complicated than just having a player, you need decent
authoring tools. This makes the situation a lot more complicated.

If another project came along offering to provide a free authoring
tool for SVG+EMCAScript then I am sure the FSF would support that too.

There isn't any such thing at the moment, so I'm not sure what you're
suggesting the FSF do, other than discommunicate the Gnash developers.

--
Noah Slater <http://bytesexual.org/>

"Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so far as
society is free to use the results." - R. Stallman

----- End forwarded message -----