Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 14:57:37 +0000

Matt Lee <address@hidden> wrote: [...]
>       If you are forming a GNU/Linux User Group, we suggest that you
>       avoid acronyms that contain "lug" (unless part of "glug"). Those
> acronyms will lead people to assume that it is a Linux User
>       Group, in effect giving an incorrect impression. [...]

(Hi Matt-Kibo!) And it's utter nonsense, which has killed at least two
attempts to give GNU equal billing with Linux in group names.  Is this
to stop existing groups keeping their acronyms and domains?  They have
sinned!  They must pay a penalty!  Do more marketing work!

It doesn't much matter what the group is called, whether it's a LUG or
a FUG or a WUG - it matters what it *does* yet there seems to be no
plan to verify that listed GLUGs actually help free software.  It
looks like all dictionary lawyerism and no practical standards,
similar to the horrendous "Social Enterprise" mistakes.  There are
lots of very helpful free software groups listed on www.lug.org.uk

Anyway, that wasn't what I was getting at - I was describing the usual
rationale for those conditions, which claimed that linking is
necessarily a form of approval, rather than simply cataloguing.

Hope that explains,