Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 13:32:24 +0000

On 09/01/2008, Ralph Corderoy <address@hidden> wrote:

> No, it was because they saw you as an individual had a position that
> would not change

I'm sad to hear this is the case, because of course I may change my
positions and often do when I hear others views and see the sense in
them :-)

I found the debate on the Dorset list interesting and thoughtful and
gained new insights into this issue in researching my posts.

I'm sad that people don't know how to "mute" the threads they find
boring other than asking to censor the participants.

> and as long as two or three others were willing to keep
> arguing the point with you then, given they were unlikely to change
> either, you'd just keep making your "You're wrong.  Here, read the GNU
> FAQ and you'll believe." statements along with posting verbatim chunks
> of said FAQ.

I was hoping they would specify why they think the answers in that FAQ
are inadequate answers their objections.

> They thought, rightly in my opinion and the other list admin., that the
> list becoming an *endless* sequence of posts that were making no
> progress on the issue would spoil a quiet list for those that like to
> chat about using Linux on their Dorset desktop.

This is a disservice to those who found the debate engaging and to
those who could benefit from communal support for their use of
features in their email clients for dealing with uninteresting
debates.

> You'd made your point,
> told those interested where to find further information, but seemingly
> wouldn't stop until everyone was converted or stopped disagreeing with
> you.

The motive for debate is not scoring or making points; is about
hearing others views and their critiques of our views.

The motive is not to change people's minds, since we have free will,
we can choose to change our own minds.

Neither is it to stop them agreeing with you, it is the opposite; to
keep them disagreeing so we all become more informed.

Finally, it is not to "convert" them - another exaggeration that
rational debate is akin to religious prosthelizing.

> > and Ralph said "the thread is now declared closed and the topic
> > unwelcome."
>
> For which I was then congratulated off-list and on-list, except I
> stopped the on-list ones getting through to avoid inflaming things
> again.

IMO it would be better if you didn't censor them so I could suggest
they learn about their email clients "mute" features :-)

> > Which makes me surprised when you mentions it here, Ralph.
>
> I didn't.  You did.  I'm talking about the actions of FSF worker Matt
> Lee and the resulting long thread on the lugmaster list which only
> stopped when the list admin. called a halt.

That list is not public and until you mention now it I had not heard
rumours about any such discussion from anyone. You said,

> > > I'd like to see the FSF and all its advocates stop their effort at
> > > retronaming Linux as GNU+Linux

which has nothing to do with the lugmaster list and brings up the topic again.

I enjoy talking about this because I think it is interesting; you
appear not to enjoy talking about it, so I kindly suggest you do not
mention it :-)

Best,

--
Regards,