[Fsfe-uk] Re: BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Re: BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 13:45:26 +0000 (UTC)

В Wed, 09 Jan 2008 03:01:47 +0100, Dave Crossland написа:

> http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#bsd answers this:
[...]
>     There is a version of GNU which uses the kernel from NetBSD. Its
> developers call it "Debian GNU/NetBSD", but "GNU/kernelofNetBSD" would
> be more accurate, since NetBSD is an entire system, not just the kernel.
> This is not a BSD system, since most of the system is the same as the
> GNU/Linux system.

FWIW, this paragraph is not entirely accurate, as clarified in
http://bugs.debian.org/419081.  Based on the resolution of this bug and
probably a closer look at Gentoo's ports the text will be amended.  For
now, I only managed to write
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html#gnubsd (which was approved by
RMS some time ago) because this paragraph was slightly misleading and
confusing given the existence of GNU/kFreeBSD (which in no doubt is a
nearly mature variant of the GNU system, just like GNU/Linux -- but far
less popular).

(Personally, I can't say if a system based on NetBSD's kernel and
NetBSD's libc can be correctly referred as GNU/NetBSD since I've never
used a BSD system.)