Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 15:35:21 +0000

"Dave Crossland" <address@hidden> wrote:
> I thought we established there isn't anything better [than Flash] for web
> multimedia. Show me URLs of better technology :-)

I'm not sure we've established what "better" means here, let alone
whether Flash is the best.

[...]
> Being unable to view Active X wrapped media is not a "Top 5" reason to
> not switch to GNU+Linux or to install proprietary software on
> GNU+Linux. So I doubt it. But if it was as much of a social problem,
> I'd expect so.

What Top 5 list is this referring to?

[...]
> Calling the OS GNU/Linux or GNU+Linux is a simple way to do that which
> anyone can do and takes only a few seconds each day.

While it's (relatively) easy to change one's own behaviour, changing
existing agreements like user group names is much harder.  It involves
compromise and I think it was such compromises that gave us FOSS and
FLOSS.  However, there seems to be no acceptable compromise for the OS
and user group names yet: both Local User Group and Linux+GNU User
Group (to preserve the built LUG branding) have been rejected.

Also, don't underestimate the animal magic.  Tux is far cuter than the
most common GNUs.  It's a bit surprising that the GNU project seems to
have switched to the bold alternative GNU (which is quite similar to
the previous one, enough so that
http://www.gnu.org/graphics/agnuhead.html
still suggests it is the old head on the home page and I doubt many
people will notice it) instead of one of the more cuddly 3D ones (say
Georg Bahlon's, or the meditating GNU).

Regards,