Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 14:47:53 +0000

Noah Slater <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 02:00:55PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> > I think the argument is that FSF is being inconsistent (again),
> > by publishing things like
> > http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
> > criticising Microsoft's proprietary formats, while supporting
> > Adobe's proprietary formats.
>
> [...] I think you are confusing the FSF's purpose with the GNU
> philosophy. Note that the FSF and the GNU Project are two completely
> seperate entities and citing an essay from one to contradict the
> actions of another makes no sense at all.

I wonder if you are ignorant of the link between the FSF and the GNU
Project.  They are far from completely seperate entities.  For
examples, look at the copyright footers, or the GNU project history:-

  "The Free Software Foundation was founded in October 1985, initially
  to raise funds to help develop GNU."
  http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-history.html

As well as being written by FSF's founder and president, at the time
of its original publication, the above essay was at the URL
http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
as you can confirm from
http://web.archive.org/*/www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

Is it no longer FSF's position that Word attachments impede people
from switching to free software?

Regards,