Re: GIMP CMYK support - was [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund

From: Jon Grant
Subject: Re: GIMP CMYK support - was [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 13:03:20 +0000

Hi

> > Will anyone from FSF, FSFE, Gnome or other lead it though?
>
> The FSF appears to be more and more about campaigning to raise the
> profile of software freedom in the general public, and less and less
> about running the GNU project, so I can imagine them doing it - more
> the FSFE which seems aimed at EU politicians and EMCA meetings and
> such, and the Gnome community seems shy of its software freedom roots.

Did you mean "can't imagine them doing it" ? I don't see anyone
sponsoring projects to fill the voids that the "scratch the itch"
approach leaves vacant.

> > I don't see why a decent graphics
> > application shouldn't be as popular as Firefox.
>
> Inkscape is becoming that way, as is Scribus. The cross platform
> nature of QT4 being GPLv3 throughout is very exciting, because when
> Scribus and KOffice run natively on Windows and Mac OS X as well as
> they do on GNU+Linux+KDE, and are all GPLv3, then the "firefox
> phenomenon" is likely to spread :-)

That sounds good! We may need to abandon GIMP and OpenOffice to move
things forward..

The other killer app has to be a media application, even a jazzed up
VLC with "album browser" feature (like in Apple's itunes etc) and
great UI for video playback etc. All the current Xine, MPlayer and KDE
applications feel so clunky and slow..

> > In the absence of a
> > decent Free software package loads of people are using Google's now, a
> > big missed opportunity.
>
> What Google graphics tool?

Picasa

Cheers, Jon