Re: [Fsfe-uk] Administrivia: html duplicates

From: Andrew Savory
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Administrivia: html duplicates
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 15:41:04 +0100

Hi,

On 1/28/08, Chris Croughton <address@hidden> wrote:

> Sigh.  Yes, it is a performance issue.  This whole (part of) the thread
> was about the size of the HTML part which more than doubles the size of
> files/bandwidth/CPU time, not about "can I read it?" (which as has been
> pointed out several times be solved by piping it through lynx or
> whatever).  How do I read just the non-HTML parts when they are all in
> the same file?

I'd suggest that in this modern world we live in, worrying about the
difference between an HTML and a text email is excessive optimisation.

> > > Or I can just leave.  Or less drastically dump all HTML messages at the
> > > server so I'll just miss people who post that way.
> >
> > It would be shame to loose you.., but then wouldn't it be a shame to
> > exclude all those Outlook, Yahoo and GMail users we would like to
> > incorporate into our movement?
>
> Sigh.  Once again, no one is saying "lose the Outlook, Yahoo and GMail
> users".  The existing mailserver converts HTML into text, it has been
> said, all us Luddites are saying is keep on doing that.  Anyone reading
> the list with any mail client can read text.

But gosh, wouldn't it be a more fulfilling and wonderful user
experience for the rest of the world if they found their de facto mail
format was also accepted (not stripped, munged, mangled, downgraded
... but *accepted*) on a free software mailing list?

A.