Re: [Fsfe-uk] Administrivia: html duplicates

From: Sam Liddicott
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Administrivia: html duplicates
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 16:28:48 +0000

* Chris Croughton wrote, On 28/01/08 16:13:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 03:41:04PM +0100, Andrew Savory wrote:
>

>> I'd suggest that in this modern world we live in, worrying about the
>> difference between an HTML and a text email is excessive optimisation.
>>

> And I say it isn't.  Not everyone uses 3GHz AMD64 machines with 16GB RAM
> and 50TB hard disk, or has 100Mb/s broadband straight to their house.

Maybe you are subscribe to the list multiple times? I don't get that
much traffic from the list.

At least we all mostly agree on free software issues. :-)

>> But gosh, wouldn't it be a more fulfilling and wonderful user
>> experience for the rest of the world if they found their de facto mail
>> format was also accepted (not stripped, munged, mangled, downgraded
>> ... but *accepted*) on a free software mailing list?
>>

> Fine, go ahead and use Outlook and other MS crap if you want.  Once I
> see it coming in on the list I'm out of here and I'll be telling people
> to avoid it.

Why can't you use the script I posted in your own local mail delivery
system?

I've seen people damned to hell on this list because they would use
non-free software in an effort to migrate to free software, and that
didn't cause such a rift as you are suggesting in the heat of the moment?

Surely no-one would force a rift over either receiving mails with an
html part, or not being able to?

It would be better to go to the trouble to enhance mailing list software
to cope with a per-user html preference, either to drop html parts
(converting to text if alternative is not present) or leaving it alone,
rather than this.

Chris, if you can't get that software working at:
http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/H/HI/HIGHTOWE/mime_strip.html_bodies.pl-1.6

I'll give you a hand.

If for some reason it can't be got working because of quirks on your
system, I volunteer to patch the mailing list software to make it a
per-user preference.

Sam