Re: [Fsfe-uk] Administrivia: html duplicates

From: Jon Grant
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Administrivia: html duplicates
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 13:29:56 +0000

Hi.

Paul Waring wrote on 26/01/08 11:26:
On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 02:24:24AM +0000, Jon Grant wrote:
Outlook, Thunderbird and all the main web mail (MSN, GMail, Yahoo etc) compose in HTML format. TBH, perhaps we should just allow HTML mails? I've yet to get some badly formatted mess of an HTML email (that was not spam) in all my years.

I get badly-formed HTML emails that are difficult to read (and even more
difficult to reply to) in mutt. I can't think of many examples where
plain text couldn't have been used instead, and I have no idea why
Thunderbird defaults to HTML format by default. If someone sends HTML
email to a list (as opposed to me personally), in all likelihood I won't
bother to read it.

If "mutt" has issues that isn't really our fault. Is it not maintained any more? Things have moved on since the 90s, receipt of emails with an HTML part is common now. We're not reaching our to new users on this list while we accept only text email. (As much as I prefer it.. and Thunderbird converts to Text for me anyway!)

Cheers, Jon