Re: [Fsfe-uk] Administrivia: html duplicates

From: Neil Darlow
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Administrivia: html duplicates
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 12:36:51 +0000

Hi,

MJ Ray wrote:
Apart from the Facebook claim, I think the above are all repeats.  Not
saying one way or the other on their merit, but please can someone
post evidence to support any of them if you know it.

I use Thunderbird and send only plain-text e-mail but I accept HTML formatted e-mail without prejudice. I have *never* received any adverse comment from anyone who sent an HTML formatted e-mail and received a plain-text reply.

I suggest that there's too much debate raging on this issue. If you want an argument in any direction you could say that performing HTML to plain-text conversion, at submission, potentially makes the list content available to a wider audience without issues of redundancy and is more resource friendly (I won't introduce the Green angle).

We should credit new list members with more intelligence than some previous posts suggest. I think they are more concerned with the content of the replies they get, over any formatting policy, and I doubt a plain-text response to a HTML submission is going to upset them at all.

My 2 pence.

Regards,
Neil Darlow