Re: [Fsfe-uk] Administrivia: html duplicates

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Administrivia: html duplicates
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 01:11:25 +0000

"Jon Grant" <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Also, I'm not convinced by someone else's argument which seemed to be
> > roughly that several non-free-software MUAs (Outlook, Thunderbird (OK,
> > so there's IceDove), MSN, Googlemail, Yahoo) send HTML by default.
> > Their operators should fix that configuration error IMO.
>
> That was mine :) Do you really think we should alienate people who are
> considering joining fsf-uk before they even have chance to speak to
> us?

I don't see a simple request as alienating, nor on-server-conversion.
It's far better than a few people flaming them to hell.

> There are no "operators" in the modern world (this isn't Tron!),

I was trying to side-step the whole owner/SaaS debate.  I think it's
for MSN, Googlemail, Yahoo to fix their webmails.  Sorry for the
confusion.  (I doubt they will, as html sells more expensive ads.
Oh, and I see a Tron/MCP analogue for those webmail companies...)

> everyone uses computers and 99% of those people use rich formatted
> messages (email, social networking and IM),

Social networking - at least facebook's Inbox system seems to be plain
text (with a few small add-ons like link-sniffing, but not rich text).

> let's not rule those people out of our fsf-uk discussions.

I don't want anyone to be ruled out, but I don't see why it's better
to rule out plain-texters than htmlers.

> (If they even find us.. as
> forums and social networking are where they will be..). Anyone created
> a Facebook GNU page? ;)

There are many groups, including:-
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2343908713
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2347654509
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2371833611
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6696368842

[...]
> I don't mean to drag this debate on, but you seem to be responsible
> for the list admin!

Other than above, I don't think this is moving the debate on any.
I explained my next steps at the top: wait for Friday, then count.
Sending more repeats will not help get html here.  Convincing other
subscribers might, but I doubt repeats will do that.

Regards,