gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] GNUMail doesn't connect to IMAP Server

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] GNUMail doesn't connect to IMAP Server
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 14:58:04 +0200

On Tuesday, August 7, 2012 14:38 CEST, Riccardo Mottola <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Sebastian,
>
> Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > sending this to the GAP list, since the gnustep-nonfsf doesn't have a m/l.
> >
> > With the Pantomime/GNUMail from GNUstep-nonfsf I always had the problem that
> > I was unable to connect to IMAP Server. It did not even tried to establish
> > a connection
> > to the IMAP Server. I was looking into it, and found it was trying to find
> > get the IP of
> > the IMAP Server in the CSDNSManager. While parsing the resolv.conf file, and
> > trying to initialize DNS structure, it did not succeed, and therefore, in
> > CSTCPConnection
> > it then did not tried to connect to the server.
> >
> > I've seen Riccardo did a lot of things there, but I don't really understand
> > what
> > he is trying to do. The ChangeLog entry tells me:
> >          Use res_ninit() on NetBSD to fix long-standing incompatibility
> >
> > So, reverting the CWDNSManager.[h|m] and the CWTCPConnection.[h|m] to the
> > files from Pantomime-1.2.0pre3 makes my GNUMail connect to my IMAP Server.
> > But this may or may not break things again for Riccardo on NetBSD.
> >
> > As always, I'm on OpenBSD.
> >
> > Any objections to go back to the older versions, and restart looking into
> > the
> > NetBSD issue again?
> >
> Yes, lots of objections :) My changes are much much smaller, you are
> comparing too many versions together, with many changes by Ludovic
> perhaps.. I did the changes to the butlast version, already present in
> non-fsf and in the past pre-releases. My changes are restriceted to one
> method and the goal is to use res_ninit() which is thread-safe instead
> of res_init(). There is the possibility to enable it for one or the
> other platform. For me it works on Linux and NetBSD if yo udo not
> require password authentication (see numerous threads on the gnustep ML
> where I called for help). I Am pretty sure I dod no harm on OpenBSD
> either. At least, no harm compared to the previous version of the file.
>
> Check:
> http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/gnustep-nonfsf/frameworks/pantomime/Framework/Pantomime/CWDNSManager.m?r1=10&r2=66
>
> and play with  #define HAS_RES_NINIT 1
>
> As you see, it is enabled only for NetBSD currently. The goal is to test
> it on other platforms too, since it would be the way to go. As-is my
> change should not affect other platforms.

ok, I see. At least OpenBSD doesn't have res_ninit, only res_init:

$ grep -r res_ninit /usr/include/*
$ grep -r res_init /usr/include/*
/usr/include/nnpfs/nnpfs_config.h:/* Define to 1 if you have the `res_init'
function. */
/usr/include/resolv.h:#define   res_init        __res_init
/usr/include/resolv.h:int                       res_init(void);
/usr/include/resolv.h:int                       _res_init(int);

will look into it further...

Sebastian