gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] device icons

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] device icons
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 13:30:39 +0200

Piotr:
> > Since we have device toolbar two times, for left and right pane;
> > wouldn't it be quite useful to be able to configure a different set of
> > devices for each ?
>
> At this moment rather not, as device toolbar is used for (in fact TWO
> actions):
>
>     1. activate the proper (left or right) file list
>     2. and then go to the clicked location (device or connection)
>
> IMHO you'd like to save some space in the device toolbar. It can be
> achieved in two ways:
>
>     1. enabling button wrapping for the toolbar
>     2. displaying only ONE device toolbar (as a special configurable
> operation mode).
>        All operations will apply to the ACTIVE file list

> What about it?

I opt for the most imagineable work :)

That is, one VERTICAL device bar in the middle between the panes.
This would definitely mean the least mouse kilometers.
It would be also unique (AFAIKS) among any file managers.
What a coolness !

Two vertical ones is boring, Konqueror and IIRR k3b and probably others already
have this, it's real uncool because it's meaning still long mouse ways and is
again  redundant.

And at this occasion, any action could be invoked by icon: Custom command
(including mounting), Bookmark...it should be rewritten from scratch, in a more
generic way. Same philosophy as with remote connections.

ok let me guess. GTK2 does not provide for this.

hmm.

Any workaround....? Creating a third middle pane with that toolbar as only
content ?
What a mess.
I mean, this is 21th century ... others already build space archs heading for
remote stars at this stage, you know...

It's all the guilt of IBM. They hired Gates...(only because this other guy was
out fishing!)

It's all the guilt of the fishes.