gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] device icons

From: Piotr Eljasiak
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] device icons
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 20:21:30 +0200

>>     1. enabling button wrapping for the toolbar
>>     2. displaying only ONE device toolbar (as a special configurable
operation mode).
>>        All operations will apply to the ACTIVE file list
>
> That is, one VERTICAL device bar in the middle between the panes. This
> would definitely mean the least mouse kilometers. It would be also
> unique (AFAIKS) among any file managers. What a coolness !

But VERTICAL device bar is, in fact, a variant of #2. I'm not against
the single
device toolbar (even the vertical one, though IMHO it doesn't look
'cleanly' - see
http://zaurus.osall.com/images/pdaxrom_custom/pdaXrom-emelfm2.jpg),
but the truth is I've got somehow limited resources and have to
prioritise tasks...

I don't want to postpone the next release for longer time than
necessary and we've already got a few things ready for deployment.
Before 1.2.6
I'd like to build into gcmd support for:

    * RTL languages
    * WebDAV+ssh+sftp
    * and (probably) configurable key shortcuts to custom applications

So conclusion: 'one device toolbar mode' added as TODO (but with lower
priority)

> And at this occasion, any action could be invoked by icon: Custom
> command (including mounting), Bookmark... it should be rewritten from
> scratch, in a more generic way. Same philosophy as with remote
> connections.

That belongs to gcmd-2.0 ;o) I've started thinking on that, but it's
definitely the new thread... Just to say I'm going to unify bookmarks,
mounts and connections into one scheme

Piotr