Re: [glob2-devel] Refactoring

From: Sébastien
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Refactoring
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 17:25:35 +0200

Le Lundi 1 Mai 2006 13:55, Cyrille Dunant a écrit :
> On Monday 01 May 2006 13:43, Sébastien wrote:
> > Hi,
> > As a first step in the migration to string, I suppressed use of xxxprintf
> > format functions and replaced it by boost::format. Why ? Because
> > xxxprintf use ellipsis and as a result, we can't pass string to this
> > function, we have to call c_str() for every string. With boost::format we
> > can use strings directly, wich is far more practical... It impact
> > directly the GameGUI::addMessage method, it doesn't use the ellipsis
> > anymore... The next step is to use only strings in StringTable and in
> > Widgets... I also cleaned some unused functions in Utilities and
> > SupportFunctions (concat, dencat, newstrdup...) but I guess I missed
> > some...
>
> Wowowowowow...
>
> Now, I should have complained right when someone had the _stupid_ idea to
> use boost simply because fractions were too hard for him to implement --
> not to mention the fact that simple _scaling_ would have produced the same
> result.
>
> But now, replacing printfs !
>
> Dependencies are _bad_. Evil. Not good.
>
> Lazyness is no excuse for introducing unneeded dependencies.
>
> speex, yes, of course, we are not going to implement our own codec. SDL,
> obviously, everything from scratch is silly.
>
> But dependencies for the sheer sake of convenience...
>
> Anyway. "he who codes decides". But let it not be said that there weren't
> any opposition.
It's not lazyness, I talked about char* removal and the ellipsis problem with
Stéphane Magnenat, he told me to look at boost since we already depend on it.
If you have a better idea, fine, please expose it.
Reimplement everything all the time isn't a good solution too but if you have
an idea to replace xxxprintf wich is not a cut n paste of boost, I'm open
(even if there is work as opposed to what you said)