Re: [glob2-devel] increasing our workforce

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] increasing our workforce
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 17:09:49 +0100

On Tuesday 28 November 2006 12:07, Kai Antweiler wrote:
> I'd like to make "increasing our workforce and the number of users"
> our top priority.

Agreed, especially workforce, we do not even have force to reply to bug
reports.

> If anyone has a good idea how to achieve this - please reply.
> Is it really feasible to rewrite the network code (Bradley) in a
> reasonable amount of time?

It's an hard job but feasable, yet it requires people with time and experience
with network code to work on it. I suggest working in a branch for such big
changes.

> I wonder how many users we have.

Probably more than we imagine, because on large inclusions in distributions,
but most people probably play single or local games.

> Is it possible to count the number of users that regulary play
> or the number of glob2 network games per week?

It would be a relative easy change to YOGserver.

> How about getting the numbers of network games for each day and hour,
> like a schedule?

Nad making web statistics out of the YOGServer, it is feasable.

> Are there enough players to do a tournament and is the network stable
> enough for this?

Probably, but difficult to say.

> When would be the best time for this?

what do you mean ?

> Could we implement a glob2 ladder (despite the network bugs)?

Probably, but if there is ladder there will be much more cheating.

> How many users create maps?

Hum... good question.

> Can we make user votes on maps and put the results on our homepage?

It would be nice to have a web-based repository of maps that could also be
accessed from the game, that is the idea I had behind the head while making
the stream system.

> Are there maps that promote quick games (30 minutes)?

It is feasable, but the risk is to reduce the strategical depth, altough it is
probably not depth enough anyway.

> We could implement campaign like games, where every side is played
> be a human player.  Thereby advanced players can play against less
> advanced players without having to hold back.
> Also games could be much faster, since the building phase already happend.

That is a funny but interesting idea.

> If we ask our users to learn c++, could that possibly work?

One requires more than some knowledge of C++ to enter into glob2's codebase,
which is not well documented and quite complex ; but some might manage to, if
they are programmers already.

Have a nice day,

http://nct.ysagoon.com