Re: [glob2-devel] New unit allocation system almost done

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] New unit allocation system almost done
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 17:51:06 -0400

On 3/20/07, Kai Antweiler <address@hidden> wrote:
What about the construction skills of the workers?
Do you allow lowly skilled workers to build high level buildings?
Do you take care that highly skilled workers prefer high level
construction sites?
Your quite right! I have to make sure that its impossible for an
unqualified unit to work at a high level building.

Hmm the second point is more tricky though. I can make it so that low
level buildings prefer low level units, which will cause higher level
buildings to get higher level units.

When you talk about "one global call list" is that one list per team?

Yes each team has a call list of buildings that want units.

Are buildings that need less workers prioritized over buildings that
need many?

Yes, this is already handled.
What do you do when a building demands a resource that is not available
(like alga when no one can swim)?  Does this building hire globs for
the other resources?  Does it get low priority?
Well this building will hire units for other ressources, but it
shouldn't hire any units for ressources it can't attain. It will
retain is priority in the call list, but it won't actually hire any
units untill it can, so units will be hired by lower priority
buildings.

Instead of letting globs wait 32 ticks until they subscribe to a school,
you could allow other buildings to hire globs that are subscribed to schools

While this is possible, its not something I want to do,  just because
of the way the unit state machine is designed. 32 ticks isn't much and
really a unit needs no more than 2 ticks to decide that there are no
jobs available (of your not hired, there is no one that can hire you).
So I might change this during fine tuning.

--
Kai Antweiler