Re: [glob2-devel] New unit allocation system almost done

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] New unit allocation system almost done
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 10:54:20 +0100

> I've also implemented something completely new. In the code, I've
> added something called "hidden forbidden areas". These areas act
> exactly like forbidden areas, except that they are not visible or
> modifiable by the user. They are strictly for the use of the Engine.
>
> I use these hidden forbidden areas in two ways. First of all, any unit
> that is spinning on the spot automatically puts forbidden zone on
> itself. These units are spinning because they have collided paths with
> other units in narrow alleys.

Warriors also spin when fighting.  Take care that they run away from
there victims.

When a glob is surrounded by resources it also spins.  Putting a
forbidden zone under it could be a waste of cpu.  Nuage once told me
that forbidden gradients are only calculated on demand.
I don't know whether he meant that it is calculated when a
glob is on a forbidden field or when the forbidden fields change.
(The later would be a bug since resources can grow in forbidden areas
 and block paths.)

> While this may thoerietically cause some problems,in practice, units
> only spin on the spot for more than a few frames when there is a
> serious clog. And I have seen this code actually dissipate clogs. I
> haven't seen any noticable negative impact on pathfinding.

I don't like this, but go along.
In the long run I would like to have this dealt by the an extra
pathfinding routine, maybe oneways.  Leo also had an idea
somewhere on our roadmap - I think.  Forbidden zone exiting and
resource pathfinding don't go along well.

Systems that have problems in theory will get buggy.
Things you took for granted won't be correct anymore.
i.g.: when you have a narrow path where one side are forbidden
      zones, a glob on a hidden forbidden field will be allowed
      to path through that forbidden zones and do so when there
      is a glob before and behind it.

> I've also implemented hiddden forbidden zones on buildings that are
> being upgraded. When you start an upgrade, and the building is waiting
> for units to clear the area arround. Now, the game automatically puts
> hidden forbidden zone in this area.

Can globs inside the building still get out of it?
Do you place these areas also when the upgraded building won't be bigger
than the original building?
Why do you want these forbidden areas to be invisible?
I think in the building case, the user should know what is going on.

> I've tested Nicowar on a FourSquare modification where all of the
> enemies are fully enclosed in wheat. With the new unit allocation
> system. Nicowar successfully digs each of the enemies out and destroys
> their bases. Warriors don't get caught up in the narrow alliess, and
> enemies can't hide inside their ressources. Its very effective.

Improvement suggestion:
Does it go for teams that already have lost, too?
Does it dig out buildings that don't have any free field next to it,
like those overgrown inns from ainumbi?
In both cases it better should not.

--
Kai Antweiler