Re: [glob2-devel] New unit allocation system almost done

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] New unit allocation system almost done
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 22:18:55 -0400

I'm now committing my second revision of the system. I consider it to
be fully functioning. I have done small scale testing with it and
there seem to be no bugs. Its unlikely that there aren't any bugs,
provided the difficulty in finding them, so be on the look out for
strange behaviour related how units allocate themselves to buildings.
I've also added some documentation to the various functions in
Building.h

I'm may do up a wiki document on the new unit allocation system,
hopefully making any flaws obvious.

I quite like the turn out of the new system. Observing
ReachToInfinity, it just seems like the game is getting more work from
its workers. Buildings are consistantly full and their are lots of
free units, making all training centers equally full.

I have made the system bias lower level units. All buildings that
harvest ressources, exploration flags and clearing flags will always
prefer a lower level unit to a higher level one when available. This
may seem counter-intuitive, but it hardly makes a difference in large
games. Hoever, In small close-knit games with few units, keeping low
level units at low level jobs is absolutely critical.

On the other hand, war flags now prefer higher performing warriors to
lower preforming ones. This means that you *don't* need to set a
Minimum Level of 4 to get all your level 4's, they will be selected
naturally, moving down to level 3's, then 2's, and lastly level 1`s.
It is possible, though, that one war flag will recieve all of the
level 4's and another none, however since the system tries to balance
the allocation of units to buildings, this can only happen when all of
the units hired for a building are hired at the same time.

--
Really. I'm not lieing. Bradley Arsenault.