Re: [glob2-devel] Goals for the next release

From: Martin Voelkle
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Goals for the next release
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 12:04:34 +0200

On 3/29/07, Stéphane Magnenat <address@hidden> wrote:
> Neither Guile or Squirrel are really full blown languages. Both of
> them have the capability to limit the end user functionality. Squirrel
> especially just doesn't provide the users with hax0r like
> functionality to begin with Tightly controlling a script in Guile is
> simple, I've seen the code, and cutting off a script from all file and
> network interaction, all interprocess communication, and any other
> tool is as simple as not loading those modules. I want a scripting
> language mainly for those high level constructs that make it turing
> complete.

I'm strongly against using a lisp-based language for scripting, it amuses
geeks but is a nightmare for the rest of the world. Squirrel would be ok.

The advantage of lisp-based runtimes is that they are usually
checkpointable (you can save the state of execution and resume it
later, even on a different machine, which is a must-have for game
scripting). This is due to Lisp's semantics (code is data, no control
flow), not its syntax (fortunately). Squirrel doesn't have that.

Martin