Re: [glob2-devel] Goals for the next release

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Goals for the next release
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 13:42:35 +0200

> I do.  And seriously we're talking about only freezing new development
> until 1.0 for years.  I am getting sick of it.  We are not one step
> closer to getting the network right.  In fact we are further away
> since nuage left.
> I not only want new features (after our next release), I demand them!
> We don't get people into our team by telling them: "Your not allowed
> to do the things you want.  They're good ideas.  We would need them,
> but we are fanatic about that 1.0 thingy."
> Instead of limiting the development we should encourage to document
> new code and make it more maintainable and reusable.

I agree with Kai. Nuage and I wanted perfect 1.0 for years. Initially we only
wanted to open source the full, clean and documented 1.0. My deep feeling now
is that all this was a mistake. I think we can do new versions on a regular
basis, provided there is a release candidate prior to each release in order
to reduce the risk of highly buggy release.

> > So for the next version or two, its these things that I think active
> > developers should focus most on.
>
> Most of us only know small part of the code and don't have the time
> to read through the highly entangled rest of glob2.  Even if some
> changes seem inferior from the perspective of a glob2 coding experts,
> it's often all you can expect.
> Especially in open source where the developers frequently change, you'll
> have a lot of coders that don't know the code much.  Forcing them to focus
> on things they don't know is bad.
> To be clear: setting priorities is a good thing.
> But it still has to be absolutely clear that contributions in other areas
> are welcome!
> (And realistically will be more frequented than the main issues.)

I agree with Kai here too. While we must make sure to have the best possible
code quality, it is better to have imperfect, but understandable, documented
and living code that a bunch a highly optimized, unreadable unmaintained code
(you certainly know what I mean ;-)).

> I still would like to have an easy way to change which graphic tiles
> glob2 uses from inside the game.  It's a shame that shew's graphics are
> lying around without being used.  Doesn't anybody know this part of the
> code.

If you are speaking about terrain tiles, just add a tileset option in the
settings gui and put tiles in a data/gfx/tiles/TILESET_NAME
and use this name when opening tiles. Just be sure you fallback on default set
if tile is not found (this check ust be done per tile). You might want to
have a more generic gfx theme instead. We can imagine adding an option in
maps that can tell a prefered tileset, like in *craft.

http://nct.ysagoon.com