Re: [glob2-devel] Multithreading architecture problem

From: Kyle Lutze
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Multithreading architecture problem
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 14:17:40 -0700

Bradley Arsenault wrote:
On 8/21/07, *St�phane Magnenat* <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    Hi,

    Glob2 is currently using two different abstractions for threading:
    SDL and
    boost. This is bad.

    SDL threads is tight to sound. Why not use SDL also for fertility maps ?

    I don't know if this actually cause a real problem but I can imagine
    situation
    where it can.

    Steph

Personally I very much prefer boost threads, it feels so much more natural. I attempted to use SDL threads and it felt a bit hackish. I figured we depend on boost anyhow, and I tried boost threads. Both libraries just wrap the underlining thread interface (like pthreads on linux), so really that can't collide, and it hasn't yet.

--
Extra cheese comes at a cost. Bradley Arsenault.

I don't really know the exact reason why I say this, but having used a bit of both I would rather go with boost