Re: [glob2-devel] further direction for mars and months to come

From: Kyle Lutze
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] further direction for mars and months to come
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 11:21:06 -0800

Leo Wandersleb wrote:
hi *

bradley kept asking me what should be done and i didn't say much as i felt he's doing much and doing fine. now i feel a bit at a point i wish to base direction on a broader basis as the broken nicowar at fosdem and some ideas on switching back to udp made me nervous on weather things are still fine now and for future development.

- for at least steph and me stability has top-most priority. there are no new features after feature freeze period. testing is a must. all known bugs must be dealt with. those tons of valgrind output should be dealt with, too.

Going back to udp just won't happen (I'll shoot whoever thinks about it). I would like to see a beta3 released within the month as there are still some glaring bugs that we've been finding.

My list for beta3 so far:
- cmd+q and alt+f4 work intermittently for some reason. In short the code for handling shortcuts, etc. needs to be rewritten as right now it exists in five different locations

- some time needs to be spent on the translation documents. There are spelling errors in the variables, let alone the translated text.

- those pathfinding errors are annoying as hell, and often times units get stuck spinning until you put a red square on them to make them move.

- opinions on this: if there are multiple buildings in the building queue, inns should always be put at the top with hospitals second. From there free for all.

- the scons scripts need to be modified to be able to easily make distfiles, mac binaries, etc. I've been trying to work on the mac binary, but it's hard as hell because I don't have someone who can easily help me test it that doesn't have all the libraries installed already (it defaults to looking through the system for the libs first instead of the resource directory for some reason)

- site needs updating content wise.

I think it was good that we released beta2 as it's quite a bit more stable than beta1, but I do think we need to continue squashing some of these bugs and release a beta3 within the next month or two.

Oh, and for this next release we need to make sure we have _all_ binaries ready to go and setup with the data folders complete, etc. and not fixing after we've released it.