Re: [glob2-devel] contributions via forks

From: Linus Probert
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] contributions via forks
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 00:31:19 +0100

Being schooled in configuration management I can say that this is a rock-solid solution, it provides a good overview to everyone and also an easy way to contribute. Also Leo can quickly overview code before pulling it into the main repo (hg.glob2). It's a good security fence in order to control the open source monster, as I read in an article once, a pretty accurate metaphor though.

May I also suggest that you, Leo, start enforcing nice comments and so forth, not sure how it works now, but it is never bad to tell whoever to write nice comments and readable code before it gets put into the main repo. The documentation is pretty poor as it is now according to me. But if we all keep documenting all functions we feel that we have understood and all functions that we have added we can successively reduce that flaw over time. A long time but still :-)

Maybe I am just writing what everybody already knew now, if that is the case then just keep doing what you do else, make a note of what is written above.

/L

Leo Wandersleb wrote:
hi list,

as i can't grant write access to hg.globulation2.org i normally tell people to fork my copy at bitbucket [1] so i can pull those forks back in to hg.glob2 [2].
i like this for several reasons:
* we don't depend on stephane or whoever can grant write access to hg.glob2 * we get more of a decentralized structure so if any of us stops supporting glob2 nobody needs to worry * older members with write access can see what changes get into the code base with a longer scope than one changeset so big plans finished to 3% don't mess up hg.glob2

on the other hand i don't want people to get frustrated about me (or others) if we don't pull your valuable changes. if we miss to pull after you have finished a cool feature/documentation/cleanup/tool/.../change please complain on the mailing list.

thanx,

leo wandersleb

[1] http://bitbucket.org/giszmo/glob2
[2] http://hg.globulation2.org/glob2-new