glob2-ideas

Re: [Glob2-ideas] Autres unites dans Glob 2?

From: Stuart Armstrong
Subject: Re: [Glob2-ideas] Autres unites dans Glob 2?
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 18:12:05 +0200

Hi there all!

Sorry - didn't realise that english was the language of this list.
>I very much dislike the idea of a building that vanishes after creating a small number of units.

That came up after thinking of lots of different ways of balancing the issue (and might be interesting in its own right). That said, if the knight is able to swim, other ways of balancing may be doable too. However, the swimming does need to be improved, I feel; once you have a swimming pool, the sea is tactically pointless.

>Players who try to protect them by micromanaging (with flags and forbidden areas) must not get an advantage.

Is there a way of setting the automatic reactions of the units so that micromanaging is not possible? Seems easy to do with archers; if you gave pikemen a slight range and allowed the (fast moving) knights to pass though other units (for example), then automated target seclection should remove the incentive to micromanage?

It may also be possible to manage the issue with simple damage/hit points ratios. If, for instance, every unit inflicts 10% of its own basic hit points every attack, then there is no incentive to micromanage - it doesn't matter who is hitting who (the real math is slightly more subtle than this - that formula is exact only if each unit is inflicting 10% of its current hit-points. But having weaker units inflicting 11% of their basic HP and tough ones 9%, or something of that order, should give a sensibly correct balance). The exception would be the pikeman who (by design) inflicts extra damage on a knight. Then a little bit of range on the pikeman, and some rather basic automated targetting should balance him, as well.

Anyway, all the best!

Stuart

On 27/08/07, Stéphane Magnenat <address@hidden> wrote:
> How about a squad-leader unit?
> *Each flag gets one squad leader if one is free.
> *this unit will be protected by the other globs (stays at the center of the
> flag) *can be produced at high costs (>25 wheat)
> *is limited to #warriors/20.
> *has ranged effect (heal units, improve units, improve leveling, snipe,
> ...)

If we push this thinking further, the flag itself would be this unit and it
would be controllable. We had this in glob 1.1 as the queen was controllable.
We have to think carefully, but this might be interesting as if not abused it
won't requires micro-management but can improve battle control and fun.

Steph

--
http://stephane.magnenat.net