Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: [Gnash] 0.8.2 status & OLPC

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: [Gnash] 0.8.2 status & OLPC
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 22:24:52 -0700

John Gilmore wrote:

tickets from naive users.  The majority of the 40 support people have
an attitude like, "Why do we bother shipping gnash anyway?  Any time
somebody has trouble with it, which is all the time, we just have to
suggest they replace it with Adobe's."

Personally, many of the reported problems are all because the OLPC project can't ship the codecs Gnash needs. I am so sick of the codec issue I can barely talk. If the OLPC project can't ship the codecs Gnash needs, then screw it, ship Adobe, and don't bother those of use trying to fix the problem. I tried to talk them into adding Codec Buddy from Fedora to solve this problem with zero success.

requires a support-tech login to access.  The majority are along the
lines of "I went to site X (some kid site) and it doesn't work."  The
standard Gnash maintainer response has always been, "Rip the binary

I'm sorry, but that's total bullshit. *We* as Gnash developers do this reverse engineering ourselves, we mostly just ask people to give us the link, send us the swf file. I believe I'm the only Gnash developer who is also an OLPC developer, I don't don't believe I've *ever* said this.