Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: [Gnash] 0.8.2 status & OLPC

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: [Gnash] 0.8.2 status & OLPC
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 08:32:36 +0100

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 06:35:18PM -0800, John Gilmore wrote:

> (Anybody can look at the tickets in dev.laptop.org; search for
> "gnash".  For a developer who cares, I can also pull out trouble
> tickets from the end user support system at rt.laptop.org, which
> requires a support-tech login to access.  The majority are along the
> lines of "I went to site X (some kid site) and it doesn't work."  The

Clueless bug reports like "I went to site X and it doesn't work"
don't help much. I tought the OLPC project was about bringing
an educational laptop to childs in developing countries.
I belive this includes equipping the laptop with educational software.
Gnash is just a player, not an educational thing.
If there are SWF educational applications that are being developed
by OLPC hackers, that would make a good case for improving Gnash
support for it.
For the generic movie found on the web why should OLPC users bug
reports have any different handling then other users's ones ?

> standard Gnash maintainer response has always been, "Rip the binary
> flash file apart, diagnose it, and fix it yourself", which of course
> has resulted in zero progress, which is of course why every tech but
> me recommends that end users tear out gnash.)

Not true. Whenever the reporter helped with diagnosis we fixed the
issue, or at least have a better set of bug reports on savannah
to deal with.

What you could do is pull out the trouble tickets from wherever,
extract the SWF url information and file the bug on savannah,
attaching the movie if possible.