Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: [Gnash] 0.8.2 status & OLPC

From: Aaron Whitehouse
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: [Gnash] 0.8.2 status & OLPC
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 15:51:41 +1300

> >  I tried to talk them into adding Codec Buddy from
> > Fedora to solve this problem with zero success.

>   When there's a codec issue, put up a message, in the web page display,
>   that says it's a codec issue.  Don't just end up with a grey
>   rectangle.  If you want to be fancy, say which codec is being used
>   that we don't support, and why we don't support it.

As far as I understand things, GStreamer handles all the codec support
of Gnash. This suggests that the codec detection code belongs in
GStreamer. As Rob pointed out, Codec Buddy would solve the problem of
missing codecs and would provide a way for proprietary companies to
collect their patent "tax". The same solution can/should be used in
Gnash as in the GStreamer media players on the XO.

Ubuntu uses a different codec installer, but I have concerns over it
(the link also has some general background on the issue):

I hope this helps,

Aaron

--
FSF Associate Member: 5632