Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Xulrunner freedom bug: how to apply patch?

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Xulrunner freedom bug: how to apply patch?
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 11:16:36 +0100

Karl Goetz wrote:
Perhaps we should start keeping just the debian/ directory in bzr, with
a script to build free upstream tarball if required?

I talked with Karl about this on IRC. The procedure to patch packages would be something like this:

1) apt-get source <package>
2) Merge our debian directory.
3) make get-orig-source
4) dch -i
5) dpkg-buildpackage
6) Upload.

The xulrunner change can probably go in a debian/patches/ file. A get-orig-source rule [1] should only be necessary if we want to remove non-free code from the source tarball.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Complete#Changing%20the%20Original%20Tarball