Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Xulrunner freedom bug: how to apply patch?

From: Christophe Jarry
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Xulrunner freedom bug: how to apply patch?
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 20:45:44 +0100

> I talked with Karl about this on IRC. The procedure to patch packages
> would be something like this:
>
> 1) apt-get source <package>

So we stick with xulrunner-1.9.1.4-2, while debian mipsel version is
1.9.1.15-1~bpo50+1?

> 2) Merge our debian directory.

I don't understand this step: what does it mean? How do you do it?

> 3) make get-orig-source
> 4) dch -i
> 5) dpkg-buildpackage
> 6) Upload.
>
> The xulrunner change can probably go in a debian/patches/ file. A
> get-orig-source rule [1] should only be necessary if we want to
> remove non-free code from the source tarball.
>
> [1]
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Complete#Changing%20the%20Original%20Tarball

I understand those 4 steps.

I have discovered something myself that could help us:
firefox-3.6.12.source.tar.bz2 (latest stable) and
xulrunner-1.9.2.12.source.tar.bz2 (latest stable) contain the exact
same files and directories:

  cd firefox
  tar -xjf firefox*.tar.bz2
  cd ../xulrunner
  tar -xjf xulrunner*.tar.bz2
  diff mozilla-1.9.2 ../firefox/mozilla-1.9.2
  # tells me they contain "identical directories"
  du --max-depth=0 {../firefox/,}mozilla-1.9.2
  # gives me the exact same size)

So I thought it could be interesting to build xulrunner upon icecat's
(http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/) source code directly. We could
use the version of icecat that corresponds to the version of iceweasel
in debian so that we avoid dependancies problems. There are also icecat
deb packages available for i386 and amd64 at
https://launchpad.net/~gnuzilla-team/+archive/ppa/+packages. Those
packages are intended to be used on Ubuntu though.

I think we almost have our xulrunner with those, after some editing in
mozconfig file.

Christophe