Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Parkes alpha 1

From: r. siddharth
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Parkes alpha 1
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 11:47:01 +0530

On Tuesday 26 June 2012 12:40 AM, Sam Geeraerts wrote:

I'm glad to inform you that the first alpha installer for the 3.0
release (Parkes) is available for download at
http://beta.gnewsense.org/gnewsense-three/installer/3.0-alpha1/

I have been using gNewSense Parkes alpha1 for quite sometime, some of my petty observations:

* The system is pretty stable -- it doesn't hang or throw me into predicament -- it is stable enough to be usable.

* The boot is blistering fast (compared to gNewSense 2.3). I get this "failed" message during the boot (I don't know whether it is critical though):

I am using the linux-libre-3.4.4[1] as the kernel that came with gNewSense Parkes was not able to recognize my modem.

[1]: http://www.jxself.org/linux-libre/

* When I am connected to the Internet the GNOME notification icon shows that there is "no network connection", though I am able to connect to the Internet and use it.

* I tried a "apt-get update" today and I get a GPG error that says:

W: GPG error: http://http.us.debian.org squeeze Release: The following
signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available:
NO_PUBKEY AED4B06F473041FA

I have attached the full output of the "apt-get update" command with this mail.

* GNU Emacs doesn't come in the default install (smiles). When I installed it, I found that the Emacs Info manual is missing, I think this should be because of Debian's DFSG. I'd be good to include the documentation in gNewSense Parkes.

That is about it. Thanks for paying heed.
--
rsiddharth
http://rsiddharth.ninth.su/