Re: [Gnewsense-dev] WindowMaker package with Parkes branding

From: Marek Buras
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] WindowMaker package with Parkes branding
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 19:26:25 +0100

On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 05:24:49PM +0100, Sam Geeraerts wrote:
> Yes, changing wmaker would still be necessary for the desired
> dependency, but this way the change to the upstream package would be
> smaller.

[SNIP]

> Sorry, I should have been more specific. Your background looked fine, I
> didn't really check if it was exactly the right color. I was more
> referring to the overall look, e.g. window decorations. But I'm not sure
> if Galaxia's gtk theme can be ported to WindowMaker or even if that
> would look appealing. Whatever you decide to do with that is fine with me.
>
> If you decide to follow it, then Felipe might like to add it to his
> source. And we could make wmaker-theme-gnewsense a binary of that source
> package (which I have half finished on my disk) instead of a separate
> package.

I tried few approaches while working on wmaker package and in the end it look's
like the best thing to do is just replace default Debian branding (so called
"swirl theme") with our own combination of theme file and one of walpapers made
by Felipe. WindowMaker is not very popular these days and typical gNewSense
user will use GNOME probably, so he won't care about this package. Splitting
artwork from core wmaker package would be great idea (then artists could work
only on this part without touching wmaker installation procedures), but
currently it complicate things a little (it's not hard to do it, but still it
takes time and we have to install additional theme package).

As for porting all Galaxia theme to WindowMaker - sure, it's possible and not
that hard even, but unfortunatelly I suck at anything related to art (including
the art of coding ;)), so my creation will probably suck too ;) From the
technical point of view all this porting effort is equivalent to changing
"gNewSense" file inside "Themes" directory and setting particular colours there
(we can get the colours from metacity configuration). But it will take some
time and considering "popularity factor"... well... noone will care about it I
think.

So, maybe we should stick with this humble Galaxia-like el-cheapo
"gNewSense+wallpaper" thing integrated into wmaker package and not splitting
anything? I'm not arguing for anything, just asking what do you think. If you
consider separate artwork package for wmaker better, then I'll do it. I really
don't know what's the best for the project and don't want to complicate things
which are simple by design. Wasting other people time by forcing them to read
too long e-mails (with too many questions) is on my mind too ;)

--
Marek Buras
cyfr0n (at) go2.pl