Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Ucclia alpha 1

From: kpb
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Ucclia alpha 1
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 23:42:22 +0000

On 2015-01-12 19:00, Marcus Moeller wrote:
Am 11.01.2015 um 22:44 schrieb Sam Geeraerts:
Op Sun, 11 Jan 2015 09:14:11 +0100
schreef Marcus Moeller <address@hidden>:

Great, but as Iceweasel is missing, installation should still fail?

Iceweasel is only a soft dependency of the libreoffice binary package,
so you should be able to install without the browser. Or install the
individual components (libreoffice-writer etc.), which have no relation
with the browser.

Tasksel still fails: task-gnome-desktop Depends: gnome-core which is
not going to be installed

Greets
Marcus

Hello Marcus and all

I 'got around' the tasksel problem by following a suggestion of Sam's (see mailing list archives around early Dec) so that I could actually try out the desktop and some applications.

The installation on a Thinkpad laptop with ath5 based wifi went like this...

* Boot from the mini.iso and enable networking (I used wifi)

* When you reach the tasksel stage, unselect the Desktop task, install the other three tasks

* Reboot into a command line on the installed system

* Become root and add lines to /etc/network/interfaces to allow either a wired or wireless connection (see Debian Networking wiki page for instructions)

* (Become root if not already) and apt-get install network-manager-gnome gnome-shell gdm3 epiphany-browser to get a basic desktop with Web browser

* Remove or comment out the temporary lines that you added in /etc/network/interfaces and reboot

* You should see the graphical log-in screen and be able to connect to wifi using network-manager-gnome when you log in

* Install other packages as needed

I'm sure we won't need to use work-arounds soon enough.

Cheers
--
Keith Burnett