gnobog-devel

[Gnobog-devel] Re: gnobog problems

From: Detlef Vollmann
Subject: [Gnobog-devel] Re: gnobog problems
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 15:12:12 +0200

address@hidden wrote:
> The libprefs compilation problem with debug is fixed (bogus message),
Yes :-)

> but the real problem is the segfault when creating an empty document
> object (it works for me).
>
> Could you check out the current cvs version, then do a
> ./configure --enable-gtk2-debug=yes
> then compile and run and report us the output ?
Well, as I now have gnobog_bookmarks.xml and rincewind in my
.gnobog dir, it doesn't crash anymore.
If you want the output anyway, I can remove rincewind again
and re-produce the crash (but possibly you can reproduce
it then as well).

After looking at the stack trace (in my original bug report)
and seeing that it actually crashes inside g_malloc0(),
I think there are only two possible causes for the crash:
 a) insufficient initialization
 b) memory corruption

Though b) is always possible, in this case I'm tempted to
vote for a), as the crash happens inside
gnobog_app_ask_user_firsttime().
Could it be that a dialog box is tried to open here while
gtk2 isn't yet correctly initialized?

> The tar and preferences problem when starting gnobog will have
> to be fixed also, your system is definitely interesting :-)
> Can you tell me if you have a .gnobog dir in your home, and what
> you have in it ? If you find a preferences file there, could you
> mail its content ?
Here's the content of my .gnobog dir now (after it started once
successfully):
dv: .gnobog > ls -a
.   backup.tar.gz         prefs.xml  storing_zone.html
..  gnobog_bookmarks.xml  rincewind  storing_zone.html.bak

Before it finished once cleanly (but after the crash), it contained
only these files:
.   ..  backup.tar.gz  storing_zone.html  storing_zone.html.bak

If you need any more info, just ask.
I'll start now to play around with the new GUI (and possibly
porting my patch for the X clipboard).

Detlef

--
Detlef Vollmann   vollmann engineering gmbh
Linux and C++ for Embedded Systems    http://www.vollmann.ch/