gnomoradio-devel

Re: [gnomoradio-devel] Rhythmbox integration

From: Dave Fancella
Subject: Re: [gnomoradio-devel] Rhythmbox integration
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 00:03:34 -0400

Heh, I shouldn't be reading email this late.  I have a tendency to reply to
everything.  ;)

On Friday 10 September 2004 11:50 pm, Jim Garrison wrote:
> Hi Daniele,
>
> The goal of Gnomoradio from the very beginning has been to create a
> cross-platform music player that shares file in a way that is integrated
> with the user interface.  At some point I would like to integrate more
> with Gnome, which probably means integrating with Rhythmbox.  However,
> right now, by integrating with Rhythmbox, we will be depending on more
> software which is not portable to environments like Windows.  I would be
> very happy if somebody did take the back end code and integrated it into
> Rhythmbox, but it is not my biggest priority at the moment.

I would suggest, in my armchairish fashion, working on getting the filesharing
portion (as discussed elsewhere) building as a shared library, and then
looking into what it would take to make it work with Rhythmbox (whatever that
is, KDE user here).  The main reason I would suggest that is because I've
already written a media player in wxPython (well, it's an alarm clock, but
intended to grow into a media player, and not far from it already), and
integrating filesharing into that (or writing a new media player from
scratch, not a big deal) would be a fast path to cross-platform.  From there
I'd just need testers on Windows and Mac OS X, and a few programmers would be
nice.  ;)

The main issue there is something you're up against already using libao, and
that's that libao is the only cross-platform music player with Python
bindings.  I could use PyGame for a media player, but then I couldn't put
neato plugins that work directly on the audio stream.  (I've looked pretty
thoroughly into this, and the best solution looks to be to wrap PortAudio and
make python bindings for it, and I intend to do it at some point anyway.  My
media playing interface in the alarm clock should easily allow me to make
that change without hurting anything else)

Anyway, that's my worthless two pennies.

Dave