[Gnu-arch-users] Re: =tagging-method and non-portable filenames

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: =tagging-method and non-portable filenames
Date: 05 Sep 2003 14:03:41 +0900

Colin Walters <address@hidden> writes:
> tla doesn't presently support filenames with spaces.  This is due to the
> changeset format not supporting them, which is difficult to fix, as I
> understand it.

Is there something about the changeset format that _precludes_ filenames
with spaces, or just the obvious problem with old clients that don't get
that case right?

The only place I see that filenames are mentioned at all in changesets
(other than as actual files) is in the *-index files, and there each
line contains (1) a filename, and (2) an id-tag.  Since the id-tag will
never contain spaces, you could treat only the last space on each line
as being a separator -- but I'd guess that's probably not what happens

Of course files with embedded _newlines_ (to which so much special code
in GNU utiltities is devoted!) are even more annoying...

-Miles
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche