[Gnu-arch-users] using arch when commuting frequently between stations

From: Denys Duchier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] using arch when commuting frequently between stations
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 23:09:46 +0200

One of the ways I frequently (mis)used CVS was as convenient way to
synchronize between several "workstations": do some work at the
office, commit, go home, do some more work, commit, repeat.

Now, it is clear that this is not the way you want to work if you want
to have meaningful changesets :-)

Also, my workstation is behind a firewall and can only exchange data
through a gateway (not sharing a filesystem, i.e. e.g. through sftp or
some such protocol).

Like most of my colleagues, the way I have worked was to keep my CVS
repository on a/the gateway machine, and to use it to synchronize
between my workstation and my laptop.  Now, one nice thing is that CVS
will attempt to merge changes which means that office and home working
copies don't _have_ to be perfectly in sync (say I forgot to check in
some work before leaving home or the office).

Does anyone have any experience/advice for (1) using arch similarly,
(2) then transfering batched-up progress to a cleaned-up branch where
meaninful changesets can be recorded?

Alternatives such as rsync/unison just don't work for this type of
situation.  You need support for "merging".  Arch is good at that.

So is it possible to have my cake and eat it too? I mean: with a
regular spoon, not with chopsticks that I have to handle with my left
hand :-)

Cheers,

--
Dr. Denys Duchier