Re: [Gnu-arch-users] using arch when commuting frequently between statio

From: Mark A. Flacy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] using arch when commuting frequently between stations
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 01:46:16 -0500

>>>>> "Denys" == Denys Duchier <address@hidden> writes:
Denys>
Denys> Mark, thanks a lot for your illustrations.  They are really helpful
Denys> and make things a lot clearer for me.  One part with which I have
Denys> absolutely zero experience is: what happens when you want to commit a
Denys> "clean" changeset into the "clean" branch?  How does one do that? Is
Denys> that hard?  I can see that the working branches are going to be a
Denys> little weird because the commits are not logical but merely dictated
Denys> by whatever work you have been doing.  You probably don't want to use
Denys> any specific changeset from the working branches.  Instead, you want
Denys> to extract and rationalize "logical" changesets and apply them to the
Denys> "clean" branch.  That's the part which I find most difficult to see
Denys> how to accomplish.

Well, at the moment we don't have a changeset editor which would allow you
to do easily do that sort of thing.

Tom had posted a method that he uses to collect changesets on different
"micro-branches" that he would commit as one larger changeset on another
branch.  It looked flexible and neat, but I haven't used that methodology
yet.

I've found that I'm more careful on what I'm doing with arch than I was
with CVS (or even ClearCase to some extent).  I *don't* commit until I've
got a useful changeset.  Use of `tla undo` and `tla redo` can help you
temporarily back out changes that you've made.

I know that's not a lot of help.

--
 Mark A. Flacy
 Any opinions expressed above are my own.  Any facts expressed above