Re: [Gnu-arch-users] using arch when commuting frequently between statio

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] using arch when commuting frequently between stations
Date: 06 Sep 2003 14:38:35 -0700

On Sat, 2003-09-06 at 14:09, Denys Duchier wrote:
> One of the ways I frequently (mis)used CVS was as convenient way to
> synchronize between several "workstations": do some work at the
> office, commit, go home, do some more work, commit, repeat.
>
> Now, it is clear that this is not the way you want to work if you want
> to have meaningful changesets :-)

True.

> Does anyone have any experience/advice for (1) using arch similarly,
> (2) then transfering batched-up progress to a cleaned-up branch where
> meaninful changesets can be recorded?

Sure.

You can keep a "working" branch on which you can commit at any time,
just for sync-ing purposes.  Ideally, this branch would have both "real"
changeset boundaries, and also boundaries that are between changesets
for the purposes of syncing machines.  But it shouldn't (ideally) be
_missing_ any changeset boundaries - because convenient tools for
breaking up changesets don't exist yet (but are, IMO, high priority at
this point).

Then, when you want compose your working changesets into "real"
changesets, you can do so with a series of replay --exact and commit
commands into a "clean" branch.

Bob