Re: [Gnu-arch-users] using arch when commuting frequently between statio

From: Mark A. Flacy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] using arch when commuting frequently between stations
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 22:59:05 -0500

What you posted should work.  However...

Is your gateway visible from both work and home?  (Your URLs imply that to
be true.)  If that really is the case, you probably don't want to work the
way that I must.

If you are always able to connect to your gateway, then you should just
make a "work" branch of your project and a "home" branch and merge between
the two.  In fact, you could pretty much act like you would with CVS and
use the same branch at home and work.

I work the way that I do since my access is asymmetric: my home machines
can see my work environment but my work machine cannot see my home
environment.  Since I don't *like* to be connected to work from home for
long periods of time (personal taste; I have a cable modem), I maintain a
home mirror of my work archive.  I *have* to maintain a work archive in
order to be able to commit my changes while at work (mirrors are not
supposed to be writeable).

I'm sure that I've confused the devil out you by now; I've done a good job
of confusing myself.

My "rule of thumb" is that you will always need an archive that you can
commit into.  (Well, I didn't say that it was a brilliant rule of thumb.)
That archive can be on your local machine or a remote one; it really
doesn't matter.  If your connection to the remote machine is intermittent
or very slow, then you should maintain your archive on the local machine
and mirror it to the remote one.  Since the mirror should be treated as
"read-only" (which may actually be enforced now; I don't remember), you'll
need another writeable archive for work in the other location.  Once you
have two archives keeping track of your changes, the useage follows.

--
 Mark A. Flacy
 Any opinions expressed above are my own.  Any facts expressed above