Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Ongoing Comparison Between Version Control Systems

From: Shlomi Fish
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Ongoing Comparison Between Version Control Systems
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 19:44:55 +0300 (IDT)

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003, Andrew Suffield wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 05:53:26PM +0300, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > I started composing a comparison between several prominent and accessible
> > version control systems on a feature-by-feature basis. The comparison can
> > be found here:
> >
> > http://better-scm.berlios.de/comparison/comparison.html
> >
> > The original XML and perl script that renders it, can be found here:
> >
> > http://better-scm.berlios.de/comparison/
> >
> > I am contacting you to make sure Arch is properly represented there. Note
> > that there were some things I did not there, and possibly some
> > incorrections.
>
> "File and Directories Copies"
>
> Arch doesn't do this because it's considered a bad idea. Trying to
> merge across a one-to-many copy of this form would be insanely
> complicated.

Fine. Regardless, it doesn't have this feature, which some people
(including I) find useful.

> "Repository Permissions"
>
> Arch can have exactly the same permissions system as subversion,
> because it is also capable of using webdav. Alternatively, you can use
> unix permissions and local files/sftp, or an ftpd and whatever that is
> capable of.

My problem (as I stated earlier) is if the organization of the repository
gives way to this.

> However, you generally _don't_, because you use multiple archives with
> branches between them instead (so each archive has approximately one
> person writing to it). This is a convention rather than a limitation.

I understand. However, I do think this feature is useful (it has been
utilized in the Subversion self-repository itself, and is actively used by
many ClearCase users), and would like to query for its existence.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish        address@hidden

An apple a day will keep a doctor away. Two apples a day will keep two
doctors away.

        Falk Fish