Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Ongoing Comparison Between Version Control Systems

From: Shlomi Fish
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Ongoing Comparison Between Version Control Systems
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 06:48:54 +0300 (IDT)

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003, Tom Lord wrote:

>     > From: Shlomi Fish <address@hidden>
>
>     > The audience is the people who wish to compare various systems to decide
>     > with which one to work. Or to see how their favourite system rounds up
>     > against the competition.
>     >
>     > > The set of questions in the comparison are kind of strange.  I don't
>     > > see, implied by the particular questions, either sufficient or
>     > > necessary conditions for the system I'd want to use -- but I suppose
>     > > that depends on who's asking and what their goals are.  Are you
>     > > interested in the meta-question: what's the right way to compare
>     > > revision control systems?  About who typically makes those decisions
>     > > and what they base their decisions on?  or what they _should_ base
>     > > their decisions on?  About who is impacted by those decisions and how?
>
>     > I'm interested in any suggestions to new categories for comparison. The
>     > more, the better.
>
> Perhaps there's a better way to compare than via a list of questions.

Perhaps. But a feature-by-feature comparison seems the most logical to me.

> For example, you might try to come up with a set of realistic use
> cases,  project lifecycles for various kinds of projects and various
> kinds of contexts, and then go through how each system would address
> these and what issues might come up and how they might be resolved.

As a project evolves and is maintained, it can encounter a great deal of
version control issues. So we might as well combine all these use-cases
into one very encompaasing use case. Which will give the questions list
here.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

> Then, in the end, perhaps that kind of analysis will suggest a small
> set of questions that are key points of comparison.
>
> -t

Shlomi Fish        address@hidden

An apple a day will keep a doctor away. Two apples a day will keep two
doctors away.

        Falk Fish